I don’t know where you are but here in Boston, the weather is not pleasant! We went for warm, sunny spring days to gray and dreary. Sometimes, it’s gray,dreary, cool and rainy. Other times, it’s gray, dreary, warm and humid… with the promise of rain. But always gray and dreary.
I’m sick of gray and dreary.
And guess what this weekend’s forecast is suppose to be?
Yeap. You guessed it. Gray and Dreary! and rainy. Which is going to be super fun during my outdoor concert! Oooor not.
Now, I’m not meaning to bitch here. I’m just setting the stage. I was planning on doing a spring friday favorites, complete with favorite spring shoes and drink and what not. Then, I was going to top it off with a nice very vanilla cupcake recipe with a nice spring twist- sorta.
But, the gray and the dreary are leaving me in a funk. So, I’m going to save the spring post until the sun is shining and the birds are singing. Instead, I’m going to do what any flood blogger would do in a funk. Post some yummy food to eat your emotions away with. Because it’s curl-up-in-bed-and-watch-a-good-movie-while-eating weather, not frolick in flip flops weather.
1. Favorite Store-bought snack: Hail Merry Strawberry Macaroons. Sorta tastes like a strawberry shortcake ice cream pops, minus the gross dairy and chemicals. Propylene Glycol Monoesters, anyone? I think I’ll nab one of these awesome macaroons, instead.
2. Favorite liquid: Metromint Water in Chocolatemint. Ingredients: water, mint, cocoa essence. That’s it. And it’s amazing. Have I talked about this before? I’m having deja vu…
3. Favorite Delivery discovery: Angora Cafe in Allston. They have soy fro-yo with pick-your-own toppings. But don’t bother. Just get Late Knight (soy fro-yo, coffee, oreo and cookie dough) and thank me later. “But Erin,”, your saying to yourself “there’s a $15 minimum delivery free and fro yo only costs $5″. Don’t sweat it, son. Order yourself a build-your-own salad for lunch tomorrow and then you have ice cream to eat during your movie AND you can sleep in late cause your lunch is already done. Your welcome.
4. And what goes really good with Fro-yo and snuggling in bed? Mug Cakes. Yeapers. This is my favorite:
Chocolate Mug Cake
from Chocolate Covered Katie
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gf)(I used regular all-purpose)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar or evaporated cane juice (I used 2 tsp of vegan cane sugar)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 stevia packet (or 1 tablespoon more sugar) (I used 1 TBSP palm sugar)
- 2-3 tsp of vegetable oil or coconut oil (I’ve tried it with oil and also with apple sauce, which CCK said may work. The cake comes out much gummier with apple sauce, though it’s still delicious)
- 3 tablespoons milk of choice (I used unsweetned vanilla almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, ramekin, or even a coffee mug. Microwave 30-40 seconds. If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for it to cool before trying to remove it). Otherwise, you can just mix everything in a mug, microwave it and eat it straight from there. I opted to use my favorite mug
I’m definitely snacking on this while snuggling up and watching Les Mis. Is there anything better on a gray crappy day?
Of Monsters and Men- Little Talk. I’m seeing them on Sunday at the Boston Calling Concert. Fingers crossed it doesn’t rain!!
Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone!