This post is being written approximately three, two 1.5 hours before I want it to go live. Why you may ask? Well, because I had very important things going on this week. Things like:
1. Watch every vlogbrothers video ever created. Considering they have been creating videos for the past seven years, this is a giant project. It’s got me thinking that I could totally do that! I should create a series of vlog videos with my friends, after all, we all live in different areas- Boston, California, Australia, etc. We could all rotate in our contributions or just post randomly in reply to others. Then I realized, uh, nope. I know nothing about making vidoes, youtube and I’m crap at updating a blog so regular video updates would be awful. I’ll leave the blog updates to the Green’s and waste my time watching those. Win/win for me!
2. Reading 8 books at one time. No seriously, it’s like 8 books. I think I’ve acquired ADD and it’s running rampant. I’m reading teen, non-fiction, graphic novels, travel books, a book my friend, Melissa, wrote (YEAH!), and two I’ve already read! What is wrong with me? I don’t know.
3. Plan every trip I am ever going to take in the year 2014 and NOT book my ticket home. Because I am in denial. Hardcore.
and most importantly, 4. Lounging around in yoga pants all day because I hate all my clothes and have nothing to wear in the cooler weather that is descending.
so, yeah for procrastination and stuff. (My english teacher once told me to never use the word ‘stuff’ in a formal writing situation because ‘stuff should only appear in a turkey’. Does a blog count?)
I’m actually really glad I told myself I was posting this today because I was *this* close to having a bowl of granola for lunch but I knew I had to actually get up and photograph this sandwich. Plus, I can have cereal for dinner!
Nutty Basil Pesto
only slightly modified from FF Detox.com
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup Brazil nuts or macadamia nuts (I used Brazil)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cups fresh basil
- 1 cups fresh parsley
- 2/3 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Big pinch of sea salt
Soak the seeds and nuts overnight to release the enzyme exhibitors. Process the parsley, basil and olive oil in a blender until chopped. Add the garlic, nuts, and seeds, salt and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well also if needs be. Serve as a dip, a sauce or a spread. My favorite way to eat is:
Grilled Mushroom and Avocado Sandwich
- Earth Balance or dairy friendly butter, divided
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, mined
- 2 slices of bread (I like homemade sour dough)
- 1/4 avocado (mine were fresh off the tree from the Gold Coast. Thank you, Sharon!)
- hummus of choice
- Detox Pesto
Heat some Earth balance over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, give it a quick stir and add the sliced mushrooms. Sautee until golden.
To assemble to sandwich: Spread one slice of bread with hummus and the other with the detox pesto. Add the garlicky, sauteed mushrooms and the 1/4 of the avocado sliced. Smoosh sandwich together. Butter the outside of the sandwich and grill in a pan over medium-low heat (or use a panini maker if you’re fancy like that)
There are 6.5 more years of vlog brother videos to watch; rereading Hazel and Gus’s story (with a side of thoughts of crying); LA trip planning to do; demon love stories to sort out and you know, maybe some showering happening. This is all very pressing and I must go sort it all out! I promise you, I do actually have real plans this weekend. I’m hoping they will even make it into Tuesday Travels. YEAH!