Let me preface this by saying, I know ALL the best blogs are doing Friday Favorites and Product reviews. I didn’t mean to jump on that bandwagon but I started to post my love for Ed Sheeran and it just kept going! So, here are some things I’m loving on right now. I probably won’t do this again:
1. This video. Seriously, can Ed Sheeran do anything wrong? I’m in love.
2. Lush products. Some of their stuff can be pricey but a ton of it is vegan-friendly and most of their stuff is all-natural or close to it. I have far, far too much stuff from this store but my two favorites are : aqua marina face wash and the buffy bar. You can see the aqua marina below. It’s literally clay wrapped in seaweed. It works SO well, though. I actually ditched Proactive and started using that cleanser with the Tea Tree Toner and Grease lightening (both from Lush) and I like the results much better. As for the Buffy Bar- It exfoliates and moisturizes like nothing else and you can use it in the shower. I’m obsessed.
3. Vega chocolate protein powder. I’ve been working out like a fiend lately and this stuff is great for a post-gym protein boost! It’s a protein powder that is plant-based and vegan-friendly. I have a recipe coming next week that includes this stuff and you’re going to love it! (hint hint go buy some hint hint)
4. Candy crush. I’m so addicted. I’m not really a video/smart phone/computer game person. I peaked at Zelda back during the n64 days but i cant stop playing this! Currently, i’m totally stuck on level 33. Send help!
5. Veronica Mars. Sometimes, you just need some spunk and bad-ass attitude in your life and V. Mars delivers! “You under-counted the Sassy!”
6. Ugh, I’m sorry- One more song! She and Him’s new single “I never wanted your love”. I almost posted Carly Rae Jepson’s new single, Tonight I’m Getting Over You, buuuut I decided to spare you.
7. And last but not least, these margaritas. I call them ‘When Life Gives You Lemons’ margaritas. I feel like the past two months, life has been handing me lemons by the cart full. Make lemonade, you say? Please! I’ll add those lemons to tequila instead, thankyouverymuch.
“When Life Gives You Lemons” Margaritas
based off of the How Sweet Eats recipe for margaritas
- 2 ounces Grand Marnier
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 1/2 ounces lemon simple syrup (recipe below)
- sugar for the rim (optional)
- lemon or lime slices (optional)
Add Grand Marnier, tequila, lime juice and lemon simple syrup in a shaker with ice. Shake until cold. Serve with sugar rim and lemon or lime slices
Lemon Simple Syrup
based off of Martha Stewart recipe
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
zest from 1 lemon* ( I used fresh meyers lemons. Regular lemons will work, too)
3/4 c. fresh lemon juice
Heat your sugar, water and lemon zest in a small sauce pan until sugar has dissolved. Let simmer for a minute or so to give the sugar water more time to become lemon-y. Remove from heat. Strain the sugar water through a fine sieve to get the lemon zest out. Set aside to cool. Once completely cool, stir in the lemon juice.
*If you don’t have a fine sieve for straining out the zest, you can simply peel the rinds into long strips. This will allow you to pull the rind out with just a fork or slotted spoon. I did this and it worked out fine.
This margarita is delicious. It’s super refreshing and putting the lemon in the simple syrup prevents the whole drink from getting too sour. I think it’s the perfect citrus margarita. If you want more lemon juice, replace the 2 oz of lime juice with 1 oz of lime and 1 oz of lemon. I liked the sweet rim with the sour lemon and lime but salt would work just as well if that’s your thing.
Hit me up with what your obsessed with right now and I’ll check it out. I hope everyone has a great weekend! I’ll be escaping the city life and city drama for a little road trip and mini-getaway