Some days, you get my long, rambly life stories about how I have break downs in Halloween sections of Target.
Some days, you get a short, sweet post because I was up all night thinking 8 bajillion thoughts that I couldn’t stop but, er, none of them were “Erin, you forgot to post your stew recipe”.
This would be the latter.
I made this for dinner a few weeks ago and forgot to take pictures. I hate when I do that. Then I realized yesterday that I have a ton of sweet desserts coming up and no savory dishes for, you know, regular food. So I whipped this recipe up again because it was delicious! Snapped some quick photos and am giving this to you so you don’t think I live off peanut butter cups…which I don’t…not usually.
Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew
From Oh She Glows
- 1 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp good quality curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1 carton broth (4 cups) I used low-sodium
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups cooked butternut squash (or 1 1/5 c. cooked butternut squash and 1 1/2 c. cooked sweet potato. I like the half/half method)
- 1 cup greens of choice
- Fresh grated ginger, to taste (optional)
- Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste (I used about 1/2 tsp salt)
pepita seeds for topping (optional)
1. In a large pot, add EVOO and chopped onion and minced garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes over low-medium heat.
2. Stir in curry powder and cook another couple minutes. Add broth and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in cooked butternut squash and greens of choice. Cook over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and add some freshly grated ginger to taste.
So I made this with half butternut squash and half sweet potato because I was starting to become concerned that if I eat anymore butternut squash, I was going to turn into one. If you are what you eat, I’m bordering on a peanut butter cup filled butternut squash. yikes!
Also, this stew is thick, savory and delicious. Perfect for chilly nights. So, go make it!